Have you ever wondered how to increase independence through the various apps and devices available for the blind? Blind Vet Tech’s Tech Capabilities offers suggestions to achieve these goals.
The flashlight or torch, for my UK followers, is more than a quick method to drain your device’s battery. Rather the flashlight on your iPhone and Apple Watch may provide life saving assistance to notify or alert another to your presence. If this is the first you have heard about the flashlight feature for your iPhone and Apple Watch, these features utilizes the LED light next to the back facing camera on your iPhone and the Apple Watch’s face. Follow the steps below to activate and change the settings for the flashlight options.
The iPHone’s flashlight option as of iOS 10.11 offers individuals the chance to activate it or choose from one of five brightness levels. Voice Over users will need to do the following:
- Place Voice Over’s focus in the status bar at the top of the screen
- Bring up Control Center with a three finger swipe upwards
- Swipe to the right until you find Flashlight
- Double tap on flashlight to simply turn it on and off
- Double tap and hold or perform a 3D Touch on the flashlight toggle to switch between the following flashlight brightness levels
- Please note that you may need to rotate Voice Over’s rotor to the left to bring up the adjustment option to adjust the brightness levels
Apple Watch OS 4.0 and newer brought forth three flashlight modes to the Apple Watch. Technically there is not integrated LED flashlight on the Apple Watch, rather the flashlight mode turns the face of the watch into a flashlight. Voice Over users may take advantage of the Apple Watch’s flashlight tool by doing the following:
- Bring up Control Center by preforming a two finger swipe upwards on the watch face screen
- Swipe to the right until you find the flashlight
- Double tap on flashlight
- Your Apple Watch’s screen will now turn into a flashlight
- Preform a two finger swipe to the left or right to switch between the following modes
- Strobing Flashlight
- Red Flashlight
- Press the digital crown to deactivate the flashlight and return to the watch face
Hope you enjoyed learning about how to turn on your iPhone’s and Apple Watch’s flashlight through Blind Vet Tech’s Tech Capabilities.